Job Description – Public Relations (temporary contract role which may become a more permanent part-time consulting role)
August 5, 2020
Safe in India Foundation (“SII”) seeks a passionate experienced individual for a temporary part-time position, which may become a long-term consulting engagement, depending on the outcome.
SII, a Community Service Organisation, in engaged in three key activities: (a) assisting workers injured in Gurgaon-Bawal factories with their ESIC healthcare and compensation, (b) using this experience to help improve ESIC processes for about 140 million Indians depending directly or indirectly on ESIC and, (c) using this evidence to improve safety in Indian auto-sector supply chain to reduce such accidents. For progress on these initiatives in the first three years’ of SII operations, including assisting 2,400+ workers with healthcare and obtaining compensations of value in excess of Rs 17 crores until Dec19, please see this brief video.
During the Covid19 lock-down, we repurposed temporarily to assist the worker community with their immediate needs of food (450,000+ meals distributed in relatively remote locations), masks (25,000+ distributed), transportation (200+ assisted to get back home) and conducted rapid surveys to understand the changing situation to influence local policy and implementation. Please see our blogs for updates on these.
Role: We are now reverting back to our original agenda of ESIC and worker safety and need assistance for the following from now until end Sep20:
1. We will launch our first annual review of last year's report "crushed' on accident prevention in late AUG20/early Sep20. We will organise a series of webinars (may be 2/3 panels) on relevant subjects/launch. We need assistance in managing these webinars end-to-end, create impact through them in our stakeholders though coverage in print, online, social media. One video here to give a sense of last launch in Aug19.
2. We are doing a survey on ESIC maternity benefits and need someone who can advise the survey team, help analyse data (desirable not necessary), write the report we can use with ESIC and then help get the findings out effectively in media
Requirements: (a) Experience in media (journalism/public relations/mass communications) to identify and engage with journalists for wide circulation of the findings of the survey and ensure coverage in social media. Please see our past coverage here; we need to do better. (b) Strong English and Hindi communication skills to be able to edit content and position it appropriately and in line with our values; (c) Strong ability to empathise with the cause of Indian workers, and (d) desirable, but not necessary, good research/analytics skills.
Remuneration: Negotiable based on time needed, outcome ideas and CSO-type remuneration.
Contact: Should you please interested, please contact Co-Founder & CEO, Mr Sandeep Sachdeva, in confidence, at
Job Description – Worker Benefit Executive
Safe In India Foundation(“SII”) wants to recruit a Worker Benefits Executive as described below:
SII was started in 2015 by three batch mates of IIM Ahmedabad and is funded by alumni of IIMA 91 batch, IIT Roorkee 1988 batch and others. The foundation assists injured workers with their healthcare and compensation; helps ESIC (Employee State Insurance Corporation) improve its services to India workers nationally and influences Indian auto-industry to improve safety in its suppliers to reduce these accidents.
For further details, please see www.safeinindia.org/the-issue, our impact at https://www.safeinindia.org/impact-report and our update at www.safeinindia.org/blog and watch our videos at our Youtube channel
We are looking for a compassionate and effective Individual to help expand our ESIC-support services further to the worker communities in Gurgaon, with the next step being expansion into maternity benefits provided by ESIC to their insured workers and their dependents.
The job-holder will assist pregnant worker women or women dependent on working spouses, who are struggling to get maternity and confinement benefits from ESIC (Employee State Insurance Corporation). This role will spend time visiting worker communities, and influencing ESIC offices to get benefits for these workers.
She/he will report to the Centre Head, Safe-in-India Worker Assistance Centre.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Out-reach, visit, encourage and help the Insured women or dependent wives in getting Maternity/confinement benefits from ESIC.
• Create and document the required details of Insured Women or dependent wives so that the data collected is accurate for individual action, analysis and external reporting, Maintain and updates all such data files and keep these women informed.
To develop trust towards SII, and co-operation among them,, to encourage and stimulate full participation by all the communities people like Asha workers/anganwadi workers and conduct community outreach activities, through creating a team of worker volunteers (ShramikSaathis).
• Maintains and update accurate record/forms and preparing reports/data entry into IT system /MI and inform IPs by Message/person/phone about their case status.
• Back up the Centre coordinator, who also reports to the Centre head, in his absence and for any assignments when needed eg. Workers assistance , attending SuvidhaSamagam, medical board etc
1. Must have a bachelor degree in Social work/sociology/psychology or other relevant field 2. At Least 2-3 years of solid work experience in social work or community work 3. Good Knowledge of Word, excel and PowerPoint 4. Ability to stay calm and empathize with the worker community. 5. High integrity and social consciousness 6. Good Hindi writing and reading skill and reasonable English skills to maintain records.
Remuneration: 15000-20000 CTC depending on skills and experience.
Location: SII head office, Manesar
Preferable: Female candidate
Last day to apply: 15.08.2020
Please apply in Hindi or English, in confidence to Safe in India at
Your application should include:
a) Your full Bio data b) A covering letter stating why you would like to do this role and the skills you have to carry out each of the above listed tasks. If you do not already have the skills/experience required for some of these tasks, please state how you would compensate for that. c) Optional - Your current salary (approx) and remuneration expectations (approx.) d) Any other information you feel appropriate.
OTHER PART TIME PAID/VOLUNTEER ROLES:
We are looking for passionate part-time assistance (depending on seniority, experience and delivery commitment, we will offer an honorarium) in the following areas. Location ideally Gurgoan/Manesar/Delhi though some of these roles can be done remotely.
1. Industrial Safety especially on Power Presses.
2. Indian Labour Laws, Factory Act and other laws relevant to our work.
3. Market Research, data collection, data-analysis and presentation.
4. Digital Marketing/Social media/web-site management to improve our digital presence among various stakeholders including Hindi speaking workers.
5. Communication collateral for workers in Hindi/Oriya.
6. Management of contact with Investors in Indian auto-sector to push the safety agenda.
7. Training especially for Industrial workers (we need your soft training skills; we can provide content).
8. Senior contacts in government (ideally retired IAS, etc officers who now want to give back to the society)
9. Creating Audio-visual content eg. build a storyline with us, shoot content and create short videos.
10. SME factory experience and contacts in Gurgoan-Manesar especially in auto-sector manufacturing.
11. RTI (Right to Information) to obtain information from government departments.
12. Fund-Raising of donations from individuals/CSR (Indian passport holders only can donate to us). We do not pay commissions on donations received so CSR-agents need not contact us.
Should you be interested and wish to discuss any of these opportunities, please contact Co-Founder & CEO Safe-in-India Foundation, Sandeep Sachdeva, at or at in confidence.
We look forward to any assistance you can provide to help us help Indian workers better.